It is suddenly autumn and outdoor activities turn from fun days at the pool to our fall family favorites. Here are some ideas for enjoying the changing season around the Twin Cities:
1. HALLOWEEN FUN!
October is the season to get your scare on! Visit one of these scary places this season:
- Como Park Zoo and Conservatory, Saint Paul – October 22, 23, 29 & 30. This is a great non-scary Halloween event that works great for families with small children.
- Soap Factory Haunted Basement, Minneapolis – September 30 – October 31. This is the 10th anniversary of the Soap Factory Haunted Basement. They start out by sending you down the stairs with a flickering flashlight. Don’t let go of the rope!
- Ghost Trolley in Minneapolis – You can catch the scary trolley between 6-9 on October 18, 19, 25 or 26. Como Harriet Streetcar Line, 42nd & Queen Ave. This ride may be too scary for younger children.
2. CORN MAZES AND HAYRIDES
Corn mazes have become very popular in the last few years so you should have no trouble finding one in your area. Here are a few to choose from. Bring the whole family on a crisp and sunny autumn day and enjoy apple picking, fresh cider and apple pie, pumpkins, hayrides, petting zoos, pig races and more fall family fun! Don’t get too lost in the corn mazes!
- Twin Cities Harvest Festival & Maze, Brooklyn Park
- Shafer Corn Maze, Shafer
- Sever’s Fall Festival, Shakopee
3. BIKING TRAILS
You may have heard that Bicycling Magazine recently named Minneapolis as the #6 bike-friendly city in the U.S! Fall is the perfect time to dust off your bike and take a ride on the beautiful old abandoned railway trails all across town. A nice bonus is you get a chance to see all the beautiful fall colors changing. Don’t forget your helmet. Click here to see trails in your area.
4. HIKING TRAILS
Hiking is another great way to view the changing colors of the leaves this fall. Here are a few parks with great trails for you to try. Lace up those hiking boots!
Whatever you decide to do, make sure to get outside and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. You know it will be getting cold before long!